- statesman states‧man [ˈsteɪtsmən] noun statesmen PLURALFORM [-mən] [countable]a political or government leader, especially one who is respected as being wise, honourable, and fair:
• He had an impressive record as a military man and a statesman.— statesmanlike adjective :
• his statesmanlike performance in dealing with the crisis— statesmanship noun [uncountable] :
• an act of international statesmanship
* * *statesmanlike UK US /ˈsteɪtsmənlaɪk/ adjective APPROVING POLITICS► typical of or seeming like an experienced politician or member of a profession, who deserves respect: »
When he was told that he should resign, it was a complete shock to him, but he was very statesmanlike about it.
Financial and business terms. 2012.